FIVE Unique Ways for Celebrating Holidays with Family This Year
During this merriest of seasons, it may be hard to believe that anyone could be stumped when it comes to how to enjoy the holidays and celebrate with family and friends, but in the effort to keep holiday festivities fresh and memorable each year, some may be scratching their heads a bit. Not to worry, though! To celebrate our Find Your Joy Campaign here at Candela, we’ve come up with five fun and unique ways of celebrating the holidays with family and friends that you are sure to love! Let’s find some joy and make some memories this wonderful holiday season!
1. Plan Some Fun New Activities. Sure, for many of us, holidays are all about traditions, but you can always start your own brand-new family tradition this holiday season! After all, traditions all have to start somewhere! Need some ideas? Gather neighbors and friends and write holiday cards to members of the armed forces to remind them that someone is thinking about them, even when they are stationed far away. The American Red Cross already has a program that can help you get started, and you can learn more by visiting the Holidays for Heroes page on the Red Cross website. Feeling creative? Plan a crafting day with the family to make your own Christmas ornaments or buy unfinished wooden nutcrackers and paint your own! Want to do something active outdoors? Organize a holiday scavenger hunt around your neighborhood and see who can identify (or snap pictures of) specific decorations. The ideas are as big as your imagination! Anything you can dream up that your family would enjoy is probably perfect for how to enjoy the holidays!
2. Film a Family Holiday Video Newsletter. Many people already send out holiday photo cards along with lengthy letters to faraway relatives detailing what’s been going on in the family over the past year. Why not combine the two while taking advantage of that smartphone in your back pocket to film and post a family holiday news broadcast? Everyone can dress up in their best holiday sweater and pose in front of the tree while talking about everything that changed throughout the year. You can even get the family pets in on the action! Upload your video to YouTube and set it to private so only those who get the link can watch and send the link to everyone you know via email, text, or instant messaging on social media. It’s a great way to stay in touch, and it’s faster and easier than writing all those letters and stuffing all those envelopes!
3. Give Back. Few things are more fulfilling and meaningful during the holiday season than giving a little something back. It helps you feel more appreciative of the many blessings that your family has enjoyed and reminds everyone of the true spirit of Christmas. You can find so many ways to give back during the holidays! Many local charities offer ways to “adopt” a family in need, and you can often choose a family with children who are around the same age as your own kids. Your kids can help pick out the gifts and get into the spirit of giving. Giving back doesn’t have to come in the form of money or gifts, either. You can find countless places to volunteer your time and energy to help those in need.
4. Go Non-Traditional for Dinner. Whether your family is ready to shake up the big Christmas dinner that’s usually turkey or ham, or you just want something different for dinner a few other nights this month, try a little cultural exploration during the holiday season. How about a Jamaican dinner party, a Cantonese feast, a meal inspired by the foods and flavors of Tuscany, or a traditional British Christmas dinner? The internet is a repository of amazing recipes from all over the globe and, of course, there are always cookbooks galore. Even if you’re not up to replacing a whole meal, you can always try a new side dish or whip up a cocktail that might become a new holiday favorite.
5. Throw a Post-Holiday Holiday Party. Just because the holidays are over doesn’t mean that the celebration has to be. Have your friends and family save the date for a post-holiday party sometime after the New Year so that you can all get together and enjoy one another’s company under somewhat less hectic conditions. Plus, you can use some of the leftover supplies from your holiday entertaining or maybe find a new home for some gifts that weren’t on your list but still made it under the tree. Don’t feel like hosting another large gathering at home? Get everyone together and go see a holiday movie instead. You’re sure to find holiday blockbusters playing in theaters this time of year, and you can always splurge on snacks, popcorn, candies, and fun coffee drinks while you’re there.
Bonus! Speaking of fun coffee drinks, don’t forget that you can receive a free coffee mug just for visiting Candela. It’s our gift to you! While you’re here, enter for a chance to win a Nespresso Vertuo Coffee Machine. How merry and bright would that make your winter mornings? All you have to do is visit one of our nine brand new model homes from our three premier home builders and enter for your chance to bring the “ultimate coffee experience” home for the holidays! You’ll be able to make white chocolate peppermint mochas, gingerbread lattes, Irish coffees, eggnog lattes, and so much more! It’s all part of our Find Your Joy Campaign here at Candela, and it’s going on right now! Whether you’re celebrating holidays with family or just kicking back with a hot cup of coffee from your new Nespresso Vertuo Coffee Machine, there’s no better place to enjoy the holidays than in your very own home here at Candela. Our 460-acre master-planned community has been designed as a place in the sun for you and your family. Come tour one of our nine model homes today or fill out the contact form below to be among the first to hear about new homes and other exciting events!